A new year is a chance for a fresh start. Perhaps one of the more common aspirations for 2020 is the desire to clear out unwanted items, organize our spaces, and start this year in a state of “less is more.” If you are looking to declutter, we have several ideas to help you get on the right track.
Where to Start Decluttering
Tidying professionals point to benefits like feeling more in control and freeing up time to focus on what’s truly important. But deciding how best to declutter your house can feel overwhelming. If you don’t know where to begin, try focusing on one room and set a deadline to keep you moving forward. Start with the kitchen, or your closet, or maybe that spare bedroom.
Another great tip is to work in smaller chunks. Set the clock for two hours and see how far you get. Don’t overdo it, or you risk getting frustrated and giving up before you have had a chance to see real progress.
How to Declutter Your Home Fast
If you need a quick clean-up plan, and you're looking for ways to declutter your house quickly, try these:
- Throw away all obvious trash first
- Remove all non-kitchen items from the kitchen
- Box up your home office clutter and store excess paperwork out of sight
For fast results, focus on communal areas. Kitchens often become the “dumping ground” for backpacks, mail, and many other non-kitchen items. Finding better homes for those common items will have an immediate impact. The same goes for family and laundry rooms.
How to Decorate Without Clutter
Once you remove the excess, you can take a fresh look at your interior décor. Rooms feel bigger without the clutter, and you may even find some forgotten accent pieces you can repurpose.
A decluttered home does not have to be cold and uninviting. At Bob’s Upholstery and Decorating Center, we often consult with clients who are looking for that balance between comfort and neatness. Our tips include:
- Choosing furniture that doubles as storage: from storage ottomans to coffee tables with usable drawers, furniture can often serve multiple purposes.
- Decorating with paint: consider integrating pops of wall color with paint instead of bulky art. Accent walls can go beyond just one color. The ombre trend looks great on walls, and it’s easy to change down the line.
- Creating continuity with fewer colors: for a clean look, choose just one or two accent colors for your room. Greenery—artificial or live—is always a great choice. Just don’t pick something that is too big for your space.
Another great option is to incorporate painted furniture in your home. Our expert design team is always happy to work with you to create your ideal space.
Whether you are planning a major overhaul or you just need to focus on a few key areas, knowing how to declutter your home is half the battle. There are many benefits to decluttering your home. With these tips, you will be well on your way toward a streamlined approach. And when you are ready to update your furniture for an even better look, we are here to help you achieve your ideal space. Feel free to give us a call at 770-421-1278 to schedule a home decor consultation.