Dreaming of a Home Makeover? Our Top-Rated Upholstery Fabric Shop Holds the Key!
If you've spent any time browsing the aisles of upholstery fabric stores in Atlanta, you know that even just being inside the store can be overwhelming. There are so many different colors, textures, accessories, and materials to choose from!
Whether you're new to the world of fabric and upholstery projects or a seasoned pro, you probably have questions. We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to navigating upholstery fabric stores, including the questions to ask and the things to look for while you’re there. If you need inspiration or help bringing your vision to life, contact the home decor experts a Bob's Upholstery and Decorating Center at 770-421-1278 to schedule a consultation for your project.
What Is Upholstery Fabric?
Upholstery is the act of stuffing furniture with padding, webbing, springs, foam, or cushions to make them functional, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing. This is a skilled trade that is usually done by professional upholsterers. Upholstery fabric is the fabric used to cover furniture and is usually made of cotton, linen, wool, leather, hemp, silk, polyester, rayon, or nylon. This special type of fabric can be made from one material or a blend of materials.
- Cotton is the most widely used upholstery fabric. It is soft, durable, and breathable, but is susceptible to fading and stains.
- Wool is durable and popular for furniture in high-traffic areas, but it can be scratchy and has a distinct smell when it gets wet.
- Leather is arguably the most durable upholstery fabric and is great for homes with pets because it is easy to clean. Leather is durable and can withstand everyday use.
- Polyester is durable, easy to clean, and comes in a variety of colors and textures so you can customize your upholstery projects.
- Polypropylene is soft, lightweight, and also easy to clean. Because of the way it is made, Polypropylene is virtually stain-resistant. It is a popular option for furniture in high-traffic areas.
- Rayon is made of wood chip fibers. It is one of the most inexpensive upholstery fabric options and resistant to mildew. It wrinkles easily and is susceptible to scratches, but it is comfortable and a great starter fabric.
How To Choose Upholstery Fabric
When choosing upholstery fabric for your next project, it is important to consider how often the furniture will be used, who will be using it, and how much effort you want to put into cleaning it. You also need to consider your budget, any allergies that could be triggered by the fabric, and the color scheme you’re going for. If you have a vision for your piece, you should be able to walk into an upholstery fabric store in Atlanta and get the information, advice, and resources you need to get started.
Purchasing upholstery fabric by the yard, and choosing the right upholstery fabric for your next project is about more than just how it looks. There are a few things to consider when choosing the right fabric so that you have a piece that is durable, functional, and beautiful. Ask yourself these questions:
- How often will this piece of furniture get used? If it's just a piece that's meant to look pretty, silk or linen may work. But if it's a piece that will be used often and is in a high-traffic area, you'll want something more durable such as leather or cotton.
- Where do you envision putting this new, reupholstered piece of furniture? If it's going to be in direct sunlight, you may want to consider fabric blended with polyester, as these are often is more resistant to discoloration.
- Are there any allergies to consider? If someone in your home is sensitive to dust or lint, consider a microfiber blend that doesn't attract these allergens.
- How will you clean your upholstery fabric? One important question to ask yourself when choosing upholstery fabric is how much time and effort you want to spend cleaning it. Do you want something that is easy to wipe down? Or are you okay with more delicate fabrics that require special cleaning products? If you want something more low-maintenance, you may want to consider leather, a microfiber blend, or high-performance fabrics as these are more stain-resistant and easier to wipe down.
Join Our Exclusive VIP List!
Become a Bob's Upholstery and Decorating Center VIP and get exclusive offers just for you! Plus home decor and design tips to help you create wonderful living spaces!
Fill out the form below to become a VIP Now!
How To Estimate Fabric Yardage For Upholstery
Once you know what type of fabric you want and where to get it, you’ll need to estimate the fabric yardage so you can buy enough to complete your project. One of the most common problems people run into when upholstering their furniture is not measuring correctly and not purchasing enough fabric.
When this happens, you end up having to stop the project halfway through, going back to the store, and hoping they have more of the same fabric. If not, you may end up having to start all over.
Here’s how to avoid that:
- Start by measuring the cushions' width and length from seam to seam. One yard of fabric is 36 inches, so if you are working with three cushions you’ll need about 6 yards just for them.
- Next measure the back of the couch from seam to seam, adding one inch on each side for the seams. Take the total length and divide by 36 inches to get the total number of yards you will need. Always round up by a yard, just in case.
- Now repeat this step on the front of the couch, the sides, the arms, and the seating area below where the cushions are placed. Draw a picture if you need to and jot down your measurements, so you can bring the numbers and the drawing in as a reference.
Selection, Quality, Elegance: Features of the Best Upholstery Fabric Stores in Atlanta
Reupholstering a couch or chair can bring life to an outdated or damaged piece. It can be an inexpensive way to brighten up your space and give old furniture a second chance. Choosing the right upholstery fabric and taking the measurements can seem like a lot at first, but you don’t have to do it alone.
At Bob's UDC, we’re here to help walk you through all of your options and bring a breath of new life into old pieces. We often have special offers and even discount upholstery fabrics from famous designers. When you're looking for one of the best upholstery fabric stores in Atlanta, feel free to give us a call at 770-421-1278 to schedule a consultation and discuss all of your upholstery fabric options. You can also stop by our showroom at 2316 Canton Road, Marietta GA 30066.